The Joint Committee on the Status of Women (JCSW) was established in 1973 as a standing committee of the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Harvard Medical School (HMS) that represents an inclusive constituency of faculty, staff, fellows, residents, and students of HMS, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and affiliated hospitals and institutions. Notable achievements of the JCSW include contributing towards creation of the Longwood Ombudsperson Office and the Office of Work and Family at HMS, formal recommendations that women serve on all faculty search committees, establishing Mother’s Rooms at HMS, creating the Childcare Summit to address childcare issues at HMS and HSDM, and establishing the HMS Joseph B. Martin Dean’s Leadership Award for the Advancement of Women Faculty and Staff Awards. Through the efforts of its members, the JCSW represents a voice for change through advocacy, action, education, networking and visibility.
To facilitate and promote leadership, career development, professional advancement, community building, and work life integration for women faculty, trainees (fellows and residents), students (graduate, medical and dental) and staff at Harvard Medical School (HMS) and Harvard School of Dental Medicine (HSDM).
This inclusive committee exists to:
- Promote professional equity and inclusion
- Cultivate leadership and personal advocacy skills
- Facilitate mentorship for women staff, trainees, students and faculty
- Provide community and enhance networking opportunities within the JCSW
- Influence policies that advance women
- Support work-life integration
- Facilitate community outreach to help empower women
- Identify issues, barriers and challenges within the HMS and HSDM community
- Offer resolutions and recommendations to the Dean’s Office and administration
In addition to the HMS Community Values (Collaboration and Service, Diversity and Respect, Integrity and Accountability, Lifelong Learning and Wellness and Balance) JCSW has identified the following as its core values:
- Making a Difference
- Power and Influence
- Take Initiative