REQUEST FOR NOMINATIONS – Deadline Extended: February 20, 2017
2017 Joseph B. Martin Dean’s Leadership Award for the Advancement of Women Staff
The Dean’s Award for Leadership in the Advancement of Women Staff was initiated in 1999 by Joseph B. Martin, M.D., Ph.D., former Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, to recognize staff members committed to the recruitment, retention and advancement of women at Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine. In 2007, the Award was renamed the “Joseph B. Martin Dean's Leadership Award for the Advancement of Women” to honor Dr. Martin for his long-standing support of the mission it recognizes.
The nomination process for the Award is coordinated by the Joint Committee on the Status of Women at HMS and HSDM.
- Candidates may be of any gender and may be nominated by any HMS/HSDM staff or faculty member.
- The award recipient is recommended by the JCSW Dean’s Award Selection Subcommittee and selected by George Q. Daley, M.D., Ph.D., Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.
- The staff awardee will receive a cash award and be recognized at the June 23, 2017 JCSW meeting.
For a complete listing of past recipients, please click here.
Please help us identify staff members who are deserving of this prestigious recognition.
Nominees for the Staff Dean’s Leadership Award will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Each nominee should be sufficiently established in his or her career such that he or she has made a truly notable contribution to the advancement of women staff.
- Ideally this staff member will have set an example not only as a mentor, but also as a model and an activist whose efforts have extended more broadly within our institution or nationally.
- Nominees eligible for this award include staff members who serve in any capacity within HMS or HSDM. Exceptions to this eligibility include those staff members whose positions specifically include guidance related to or promotion of staff careers.
Candidates who have previously been nominated may be re-nominated; previous nominations can be re-submitted with updated information.
Nomination Information and Guidelines:
- All nominations and letters of support must be received NO LATER THAN February 13, 2017.
- Nominations in the form of a completed on-line nomination form and/or letter(s) will be accepted on behalf of nominee being considered for this award.
- Letters of support are not required in addition to the nomination form. If you would like to submit letters of support, this year a maximum of four letters of support per candidate will be accepted.
- Complete the on-line STAFF NOMINATION FORM
- Up to 4 letters of support (no more than 2 pgs of length each) will be accepted for each nominee.
- Multiple supporters may sign one letter
- The nomination form and/or letter should provide specific details and examples documenting accomplishments of the nominee in each of the following areas:
- How long nominee has served in their leadership role
- Outreach efforts to recruit, retain, and promote women staff (e.g. appointments in executive positions)
- Effective retention strategies
- Enhancing the ability of women staff to attain their full career potential
- Support for programs to assist with career/family balance
- Development of an environment conducive to career development
- Please email letters of support to JCSW_AdminAssist@hms.harvard.edu. Please put the nominee’s name in the subject line.
- Nomination Form; 2017 Dean’s Leadership Award for the Advancement of Women Staff
- Click here to view the list of previous recipients.
If you have any questions about your nomination or this award, please contact:
- Rebecca Caruso, MPH, JCSW Committee Chair, Joseph B. Martin Dean's Leadership Award for the Advancement of Women Staff; email@example.com.
- Diana Longden, JCSW Administrative Assistant; JCSW_AdminAssist@hms.harvard.edu.
Thank you for your interest and efforts in nominating an outstanding candidate. Your participation in selecting a deserving recipient of this important award is greatly appreciated.